Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ornaments, Cakes, & Disasters!

This week has not been my week...
for baking!

To start off, I started on these super cute cookie ornaments.
I've been wanting to make these for years but just wouldn't get around to doing it.
So, this week, I did.
And let's just say I'm not a rolling-pin-kinda-girl.

But I do want to share them with you.
In case, you are that kinda girl...or guy! :)
Becuase they are SUPER cute!



Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments


1 cup applesauce
Approx. 3/4 cup ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. ground cloves
1 tbsp. nutmeg
1 tbsp. ground allspice
Straw, skewer, or toothpick
Thread or ribbon

In large bowl, combine the applesauce and spices; mix well until a stiff dough forms, adding additional cinnamon if needed.

On a board dusted with additional cinnamon, roll out each portion of down to 1/4-in thick. Cut into shapes using 1-1/2-in cookie cutters dipped in cinnamon. Reroll scraps. Place cutouts on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

Using a straw, skewer, or toothpick, make a small hole on the top of each of the ornaments.

Bake at 200 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove to paper towel to dry thoroughly. When completely dry and cook, string a ribbon strip or piece of thread through each hole; tie the ends to form a loop.

Helpful hints I learned along the way:
Prepare yourself to use LOTS of cinnamon...I kept going back to the cupboard for more.
Don't over do the mixing either...I did and the dough didn't wanna roll out. I think this recipe requires too much patience for me! Ha!

An idea if I do attempt this again:
I'll put bigger cookie cutters and not poke holes through them.
Bake them as usual and place them on a cute Christmas plate for Santa. :D
______________________________________________________

So, on to the next disaster.

I found a beautifully, yummy recipe for Red Velvet Cake from Jacqueline of Purple Chocolat Home.
This women seriously is my baking-idol!
And her kitchen is a place only in my dreams!
I aspire to be half the baker, decorator and woman she is!

Anyways, this morning I got up, prepared my shopping list, and headed to the store.
Started on the cake right away.
Get to the 2nd step and read the 3rd.
I forgot food coloring!!!

Back to the store I go.
Get home, pick up where I left off, get to the food coloring step.
I didn't get ENOUGH food coloring!!!

Oh well, I use what I have.
And it ends up still pretty red.
Then I get the step where I need to add buttermilk.
Oops! I set it down to read something and left it at the store!

So, I google a substitute.
And am praying that it didn't affect my recipe too bad.



This is where I am right now. And it was truly a nightmare to get this far.

Let's hope icing and travel to the Christmas party goes smoother!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes!! The ornaments are super cute! I hope the cake was yummy!!! I had a baking disaster today toooo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really good. I bet it tasted great too. I hate when that happens. I had 5 women over to make the toffee I just blogged about and the first batch (mine) turned to sugar. Well, that is just the way real life is. When you blog you don't have to show the failures but when it is live, you just do it. We made double sure to wash the pan down, even doing it twice to remove all sugar crystals after that and no one else's failed. Really, it was probably great that it was mine.

    Thanks for the beautiful shout out! If I had pictures of all of my kitchen disasters it would fill a book. Someday maybe I will blog about those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Heather - I love the ornaments...the more I look at them, the more I'm okay with the disaster to get them! Haha! And they smell yummy enough to eat right off the tree!

    @Jacqueline - Oh no! That's so sad and funny at the same time! It's great to hear that people you look up to have flubs too...thank you for sharing that with me! :D

    You truly are amazing! I feel like I can't say it enough...maybe it's the holiday season and I just want to spread as much holiday cheer as I can or maybe just because you are that darn amazing! Either way, don't you forget it!

    ReplyDelete